Monday, October 31, 2011

Pit and the Pendulum Alternate Ending

There was not much time left before the walls closed around me. I knew what had to be done: I would have to jump into the pit. When the walls actually started to push me, burning my backside, I slid off the ground and into the abyss. However, I held on to the side of the pit for dear life as the walls continued forward, glanced off each other, and swung inward towards their original position. In that brief instant they turned off the lights. I knew that they would probably turn them back on in a few seconds to come and have a look to see that I had actually fallen in, so I took my chance. I climbed back out using every ounce of muscle I could muster and ran toward the spot where I had first seen the eyes. They were gone now, but there was still that slight glow from the inside, and I took that to be a sign that they were still in there. As I stood waiting by the edge, a door opened up from somewhere and several Inquisitors came rushing in. They were so intent on searching the pit that they did not see me slip silently through the door, not even bothering to close it. Outside the room I noticed that there were no people guarding the outer door, so, without making a noise, I slowly opened that one and slipped out of it, as well. I welcomed the brisk night air, and I walked into the night just as I heard them sound the alarm that they knew I had escaped. I was free! I sprinted into the forest, where I knew they would never find me just as they sent out their patrol. The Inquisition could not hold me!

1 comment:

  1. You are a creative genius...saved without a gimmick. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete