Thursday, February 2, 2012

Connection With Nature

We have this tree in our front yard that is a King Purple maple tree, and I used to call it "my" tree. When I was very young, I used to climb this particular branch all the time. It was low enough to hang from, and it got stronger and bigger each year as I did. I never thought about it at the time, but I guess I really connected with that tree. I was always climbing that particular branch or looking for insects around the tree. Every day I was out there. Now that I think about it, it is like that tree was calling out to me to come and hang from that branch every day, because it kept growing stronger and bigger, and there was always something interesting to find around that tree. That tree felt like my safe place, and I feel like it wanted to actually keep me safe. It was always shading me from the sun and the weather when I went underneath it. Because of that tree, whenever I see a tree with a branch like that, I usually want to climb that tree. I am particularly fond of climbing trees now because of that one. However, we had some work done on the yard, and the branch had to be cut down so that the machinery could dig. I still have that branch in memory.

1 comment: